Shahrom Abdullah, is a triathlete and extreme sports enthusiast from Gua Musang, Kelantan. Shahrom is a proud owner of a bicycle shop and also works as part-time coach; coaches his students who are participating in IRONMAN Malaysia.
Without further ado, here is the Q&A with Shahrom Abdullah!
Full name : Shahrom Abdullah
Place of Birth : Kelantan
Date of Birth : 20 July 1979
Occupation : Bicycle shop owner
1. What is your greatest strength?
Answer: Strong determination
2. How do you handle stress and pressure?
Answer: I try to look at the positive side of things, don't make excuses and always look for a solution.
3. What was your greatest accomplishment as an athlete?
Answer: Ranked amongst the top 15 Elite at the Powerman Zofingen Long Distance Duathlon World Championship.
4. What excites you the most about a career as an athlete?
Answer: It's my passion for the sport. Being able to do what I love every day for the past 20 years have been great.
5. You are a bicycle shop owner. How do you find time for training?
Answer: I only have time for 1 session a day now. I start my day early with training almost every day. I am at my bike shop at 11am and the day ends at about 9-10pm as I also coach my students at night who are doing the IRONMAN Malaysia. Time management is key.
6. Can you list down 5 Fun Facts about yourself?
· I love to dance
· I like pranking people when they are stressed
· I enjoy cooking
· Enjoy watching motor sports
· Enjoy watching movies
7. What is your favourite discipline and why?
Answer: Running as I can go run anywhere and explore places. Cycling/MTB especially when I am traveling, as I love to explore the country side on my bike.
8. List down your achievements as an athlete:
Answer: I have been consistently at the top in the duathlon scene for many years. But have recently attempted the 2017 IRONMAN Malaysia and emerged as the 1st Malaysian finisher after my last attempt at full IM distance 13 years ago.
9. Can you share with us your nutrition plan when doing triathlon?
Answer: I take the usual energy gels and bars. But during long bike rides, I consume raw honey to keep my body going.
10. What is your advice to people who wants to try triathlon?
Answer: Do it because you love it and not because others are doing it. Consistency is king and listen to your body. If you are tired then rest, if you feel good then push on.